Thursday, February 02, 2006

Media Bits

Eyeopener, Why Did You Break My Heart?

Last week, after avoiding a return to my school newspaper, I caved and accepted an assignment.

Last week a street racing accident killed a taxi cab driver in Toronto. One of the kids accused of killing the cab driver is a Ryerson student. Also found at the scene was a video game.

That's where I enter.

My assignment was to see if there's a link between video games and aggression. First, this 'story' has been covered ad nauseam. Every time a teen or a kid commits a crime that vaguely resembles some video game, the media jumps on this issue. Old story: strike one.

The fact that the crime had occurred a week before the Eyeopener issue would be published made the actual stories on this traffic accident literally, old news. Old news: strike two.

But there wasn't a strike three, so I begin researching and calling people for interviews. I waste my entire Friday on this story. My free time on the weekend goes to this story. I skip class on Monday for this story. Then I find out Monday afternoon that while I had been under the impression I was getting 600 words, I'm actually getting 350-400.

So, why should I care about doing a good job? My enthusiasm and drive for this story evaporated quickly and I turned in a piece of crap.

Well, the piece of crap made page three. Then I read it online and saw a major error. I misspelled my main interview's last name. I misspelled it three times. I send an email, apologize to my editors, and did feel bad.

Wednesday afternoon goes by and guess who isn't asked to write a story for the Eyeopener's next issue? Not that I'd accept (I'm too busy), but I guess one mistake made by a volunteer reporter is one too many for the prestigious Eyeopener.

The weird thing is I think I may have subconsciously made the mistake on purpose. A major fuck-up like this would be good enough to not be asked to write again for the paper.

If that was my last piece for the Eyeopener, well, good riddance.

It's never been fun and I never learned much.
-
New York Times vs. The Globe and Mail

I get the Sunday New York Times delivered to me through my Globe and Mail subscription. Well, because the Times has set up a printing press in Toronto, the Globe will offer seven-day delivery for the Times. But those of us who already subscribe to the Sunday Times get two free weeks of the Times to get a taste of what the New York paper has to offer.

Not a smart move by the Globe. I noticed this when I got The Wall Street Journal with my Globe subscription and I've noticed it again: the Globe is not a very good paper compared to those two. It's an amateurish, light-read.

The problem for me, I don't think the Globe would be willing to deliver me the Times everyday if I asked not to get a copy of the Globe.
-
Post-script: This blog re-launch (number three) is for good. More frequent. More profanity. And more Czobit-y goodness.

--Czobit

No comments: