Friday, March 17, 2006

Dan Brown

Pre-Order Yours Today

As you might know, Dan Brown's publisher is in a plagiarism lawsuit. The latest is here.

I haven't read Brown's book (despite owning it), but I believe him when he says Holy Blood, Holy Grail was only one of 39 books he used in researching his novel.

But the lawsuit is not what this post is about.

The Da Vinci Code will make its mass market debut at the end of this month after more than three years since its first publication in hardcover. The mass market edition comes in time for the movie release.

What I don't understand is why Chapters/Coles/Indigo is telling people to pre-order the book.

Are you telling me that bookstores might suffer a shortage of paperbacks of The Da Vinci Code, one of the best selling novels ever? That The Da Vinci Code, which will be sent on skids to most book stores, will be gone like that--like it was never there?

Come on. A pre-order isn't necessary when there will be walls lined with the Code.

--Czobit

6 comments:

kaitlyn said...

Pre-ordering is all about hype. Why the hell would you pre-order Harry Potter 6? Or the paperback version of the third installment of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants? Like they're going to run out.

What I find hard to believe is that there is anyone out there interested in reading The Da Vinci Code that hasn't already read it. Who's going to be buying these paperbacks after two years of hardcover and illustrated editions?

Czobit said...

That's a good point. The only people who haven't read the book are ones who either refuse to spend more than $10 for a book or couldn't get a copy from a friend or a library to read.

When the publisher released an illustrated edition, that was going towards overkill on this book. But when the mass market comes out, so will a trade paperback and an illustrated trade paperback. Not to menion, Fodor's guide to the book as well as "Travel Diaries" for the book. That's overkill.

Nicole said...

Michael I read that book and had issues with it ... I also thought it was boring and I don't understand why people loved it off. I posted my thoughts on the andPOP.com blog about the book ... but anyway.

Czobit said...

I haven't read anything by Brown, so I'm not sure why people liked it.

I've read both good and bad reviews of the Code.

kaitlyn said...

Read Angels and Demons first. It's much better. Or maybe I just expected less of it. But it gives you a nice idea of what a Robert Langdon novel feels like. I'm actually looking forward to the (timely, coinciding with the Da Vinci Code movie release) new Brown novel about Landgon, The Solomon Key, which is out in May.

In both London and France, you can go on Da Vinci Code-themed walking tours of the cities.

Czobit said...

I plan to read the first Langdon novel first. I hope sometime before the movie release.

And yes, The Solomon Key sounds interesting. I'm sure there won't be a shortage of copies.