Saturday, March 18, 2006

Saturday Star

Thoughts On Some Stories In The March 18, 2006 Edition Of The Saturday Star That I Read This Morning

First up is Rita Zekas's departure from the celebrity beat: thank god.

I cant' stand Zekas or her column. It's absolute crap, and she looks like a fool with the sunglasses in her photo. If you didn't bother to read her sign-off (and I certainly do not blame you), then you missed that she's moving to the shopping beat. She's going from an ultra important beat to a more meaningful beat. She's making the world better, one column at a time.

Second up is Geoff Pevere's nomination for a National Newspaper Award.

Among other things, Pevere has been nominated for his fantastic obituary of Hunter S. Thompson. I remember the article well, because I interviewed Pevere a few days after the story was published. In fact, my interview with him was rescheduled so he could write the article. A little known fact about the obit is that Pevere wrote it in four hours. And it doesn't read like it was.

Last up is the Raptors's improbable come from behind victory.

With five minutes left in the game, the Raptors trailed 94-78. They won 97-96. The Raptors are still a bad team, but it shows that sometimes, they're worth putting a book down to watch.

--Czobit

6 comments:

kaitlyn said...

Yeah Raptors! I would put down the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People to watch the tail end of that game.

Czobit said...

I lucked into watching that comeback.

I didn't know the game was on, and turned it on to see the Raptors mid-way through their comeback. At one point, when the Bucks finally scored (the Raptors went on a 19-2 run), I thought that was it for them. But they pulled it out.

The kids on their March break saw one of the Raptors most entertaining games.

Kerry said...

Have you heard anything from the CBC about the summer?

/me still needs a job. Bah.

Czobit said...

No, I haven't. I'd like to hear from them, though, too. I like to keep my options open.

Kerry said...

I seem to recall them saying to contact them if they were interested, so I just did.

And if they didn't, well, I'll look stupid.

Czobit said...

Mary did tell me to keep them in mind. So, I think contacting is a good idea. If you could, let me know if they get back to you.