Friday, March 17, 2006

St. Patrick

Today You're Supposed To Get Drunk

As you know today is the day you wear green and pretend your Irish. You go to an authentic Irish pub and corrupt your liver. It's written in the tradition of St. Patrick's Day.

But I'm the voice of descent, here to kill the party.

I've never understood this holiday. Maybe I don't pretend I'm Irish enough or maybe I just don't need a saintly excuse to drink. Whatever it is, I can't say I've ever celebrated St. Patrick's Day. Hell, I don't think I know anyone Irish. Okay, I'm sure I do, but I don't know - you know what I mean?

When I saw a line-up that stretched around the corner of an Irish bar near where I work, I wondered what it is about alcohol that captivates these people to line-up to get drunk. I'll never get it. I always thought you don't set out to get drunk; it just sort of happens.

Today, Slate points out that St. Patrick as we know him is no different than the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny (Santa Clause is, of course, real).

A lie isn't going to stop drinking to St. Patrick, so cheers and watch the glasses go.

--Czobit

10 comments:

Kerry said...

St. Patrick's Day, like New Year's (and in a similar vain to Valentine's Day) is an excuse to sell alcohol. That's it. Second most pointless holiday ever.

kaitlyn said...

In England, they don't dye the beer green...people looked at me like I was crazy when I told them the way we do things in Canada.

I spent my St. Patrick's Day drinking tea and watching Bend It Like Beckham with my housemates, and my first name is Irish (even though I'm not Irish at all). Most useless holiday ever.

Czobit said...

Yes, it's definitely on the top of the useless scale.

What I find annoying is when people make it a point to complain to you that you're not wearing green on the day, like it's the law.

Nicole said...

At the train museum today I saw St. Patty >> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/nicole08/Holland/2006_0318UtrechtMuseums0012.jpg

nicoleeee said...

Ahhh what happened to my photo URL? Let me try this again: St. Patty.

Czobit said...

He looks like a fool. Did he smell like alcohol?

Nicole said...

Nooo he was very clean hahah. I don't know why they had a partay today when St. Patty's was yesterday, but it was ok. They all sang along to John Denver, he must be Irish.

Czobit said...

Maybe he was drinking vodka?

Nicole said...

Maybe he smoked weed earlier that day and still was massively buzzed...?

Czobit said...

It's a very good possibility.


Haha...