Monday, March 06, 2006

Still Awake

Surviving On Less Than Three Hours Sleep

Last night at work, 20 minutes before midnight and the end of my scheduled shift, I found out that the person who usually replaces me at that time was on vacation. This meant my shift would be a little longer – like two hours longer. That’s fine, because I will be paid for the OT. But the problem was that I have class at 8 a.m. on Mondays. And because I take the train, I have to get up at 5 a.m.

I got home and to bed around 2:30 a.m., and woke up just a little later at my usual Monday wake-up time.

Going into a three-hour philosophy class could have created problems for me, as far as staying awake. But I think I only closed my eyes once in what became a shortened class. Not sure how long my eyes were closed, but on less than three hours sleep, I survived the first hurdle of the day.

The second hurdle is coming up in 30 minutes. But it being my favourite class, I don’t think I’m going to fight the Sandman. I’ll go down for the count.

The Oscars

Part of my shift last night was covering the 78th Academy Awards. I’ll be quick here.

First, I think Jon Stewart was all right, but nowhere near his capabilities.

Second, of the nominated films for best picture, I had only seen Crash. I liked it, so I’m glad it won.

Third, it was a huge plus that the ceremony finished in three-and-a-half hours. I was expecting a marathon, but that thankfully didn’t happen.

--Czobit

No comments: