Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Soldiers

Our Battle?

Back in October, 2004, I was given the assignment to write a profile of a Canadian war photojournalist for The Eyeopener.

I was to meet him at the Rivoli on Queen Street West. I was there on time, but he wasn't. After waiting an hour I stepped out the door, back into the street and walked into Richard Fitoussi, the subject of the profile.

Richard Fitoussi is now Rich Fitoussi, and he's lucky to be alive. His vehicle was behind the one that carried four Canadian soldiers that would die after hitting an explosive.

That's six Canadian soldiers dead now from Our Army's Mission in Afghanistan. I keep on reading stories about Our Army's Mission, and I'm still not sure what it's about. Why did we sign up? What was the benefit to Canadians? These questions, and others about Our Army's Mission are ones that Prime Minister Harper doesn't want to answer.

Here's one more: how many more Canadian soldiers will die before Our Army's Mission is accomplished?

--Czobit

No comments: