Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Culling the Subscriptions

One of the problems I have is that I often do things by habit well after I'm tired of them. This includes working at no frills for four years, watching CSI: Miami, and going to Philosophy of Love and Sex. Another one was subsrcibing to The Globe and Mail. I say 'was,' because today I performed some spring cleaning and cancelled my subscription. For the last six months, I've been getting the Globe, flipping through it, and barely reading more than three or four articles--stuff that wasn't all that great. My time and money is better spent elsewhere.

My decision to cancel was helped after an interview with a Globe editor. The content analysis assignment I had to do required me to speak to an editor from "Canada's National Newspaper." The interview seemed to be extremely tedious to this editor, and she deleted without reading an email I sent thanking her for spending four minutes barely answering my questions. I came to the realization that a) the Globe doesn't deserve my money and b) if I ever have the opportunity to work for the Globe, I won't even consider it.

Also culled today was Maclean's (don't have the time to read it) and Maisonneuve (a good magazine, but it hasn't published anything that has blown me away).

Freedom from the Globe: feels good.

--Czobit

3 comments:

nicole said...

I don't think I've ever read the Globe & Mail. I am uninformed and ignorant.

The Globe loves you like this:

http://www.maxcatsrealm.com/fan/tower%20hug.jpg

kaitlyn said...

I hope that you have bought a subscription to the Sun to make up for your cancelling the Globe.

Czobit said...

You know it.