Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Future

Post #86

If you count from the beginning, this is post #86 of The Michael Czobit Blog (thanks for reading, by the way). How far that's from the end, I'm not sure, because I can't predict the future. And yet, I'm sometimes expected to predict the future.

I was asked today if I wanted a full-time job at Canadian Press after I graduate next year. The question stumped me, because I never really thought in terms of definite plans about my future after graduation. I'm not a long-term-goal-oriented person. I never set a goal to get my part-time job at Canadian Press; the job sort of just happened. Before that, I worked at Coles--another place I never thought I'd work at. Sure, I handed in a resumé, but I didn't think beyond that.

I can think of only one long-term goal I have ever set and that was to get into Ryerson's journalism program. I worked on getting there, but didn't think about anything I would do once I did get there. I didn't think I'd write for any of the school papers, meet the people I met, or interview any of the people I interviewed. It all sort of just happens. No grand scheme, no masterplan.

So what I want in 12 months and where I'll be? I'm not sure of either. I'm not worried, though; you know what the say about the best laid plans.

--Czobit

4 comments:

Newsandseduction said...

Happen to found your blog. It is interesting.

Czobit said...

Thanks.

nicole said...

So are you going to take the full time job? That's the job I want when I graduate if I can't make it as a country housewife.

Czobit said...

I should have made this clear in the post: I wasn't offered a full-time job. A summer replacement employee asked if I wanted to work at CP after I graduate.