Thursday, May 04, 2006

NHL Playoffs

Round Two Predictions

After my atrocious round one predictions, one might suggest that I get into a new line of work, but ill-advised persistence is what I specialize in, and so, here's my look at round two.


Eastern Conference


(1) Ottawa vs. (4) Buffalo
It's Ottawa's metrosexual Ray Emery against Buffalo's grungy Ryan Miller. Both are rookies in the playoffs and both played well in the first round. And so, goaltending in this series should be about even. Therefore, it comes down to the firepower each team has. After Alfredson, Havlat, Spezza, and Heatley, there's not much there for Ottawa. Of course, those four can easily win a series. Chiefly for Buffalo is Drury, Briere and Connolly (there are some others, but I won't bother with them). I give the goals edge to Ottawa and they win the series in six.

(2) Carolina vs. (3) New Jersey
While I like Carolina's Cam Ward, I don't think he'll out play Brodeur. If Elias stays on fire, then it's New Jersey in six.

Western Conference

(5) San Jose vs. (8) Edmonton
This and the Ottawa-Buffalo series should be the best two series in the second round. Edmonton wore down an old Detroit team and got timely saves and timely goals. But San Jose isn't old, and can match the tenacity of the Oilers. I'm assuming Thornton will start to play like Thornton, and San Jose will win in seven.


(6) Anaheim vs. (7) Colorado

I gave no chance to either of these teams to come out of the first round, but here they are in round two. The teams are close to being evenly matched, but Theodore will falter in this series. Anaheim in six.

--Czobit

No comments: