Saturday, May 27, 2006

Summer Blockbusters

The Twelve Dollar Question

We're in the summer blockbuster season. In the last month, Hollywood studios have released Mission Impossible III and The Da Vinci Code. This week X-Men 3: The Last Stand was released, and it was the first summer blockbuster I've seen this year. I enjoyed the first two X-Men films, but the third is disappointing.

Brett Ratner replaced director Bryan Singer, who left to make Superman Returns (another of this year's summer blockbusters). And that's probably when the movie swerved into the lane for films headed straight to hell. X-Men 3 is the kind of movie that when its DVD is released, it will be sold in your local dairy section. In a word: awful. In another: shit.

But I wonder whether my disappointment is any surprise. I have a hard time enjoying entertainment drowned in clich├ęs, insincerity and stupidity, which are three things summer blockbusters drown in.

Maybe I'm a film snob. I ask too much from movies; I ask to be treated as if I have a brain. Maybe next time, I should ask for my money back.

--Czobit

No comments: