Sunday, August 20, 2006

Taxi Ride

You Figure Out A Sub-Title

After I uploaded that final story at 3:15 a.m., I called for a taxi. That first call never worked, so I called again and finally got a taxi after 3:30 a.m.

The cab pulls up. "What's your name?"

"Michael."

"It says here 'Michelle.' M-I-C-H-A-E-L."

"That's 'Michael.'"

"Oh, okay. Where do you want to go?"

I tell the driver my exit in Mississauga and he says no problem. Of course it's no problem. You're a taxi driver; it's your job to drive people places.

As we approach the Gardiner Expressway he asks me what a usual fare is to Mississauga. I ask why.

He doesn't answer but asks me if I'm using a chit. I say I am and can almost hear the 'Cha-ching' sounding off in the driver's head.

"My meters running slow tonight," the driver says. "You would know what a regular fare is to Mississauga."

I tell him that the fare is usually $35. He says okay.

I had my doubts about this driver when he thought 'Michael' was pronounced 'Michelle,' but at this point, I know the guy is an idiot and an opportunistic thief.

Along the way on the highway, the taxi comes across an an SUV sitting on (and simultaneously crushing) a small convertible.

A little later, the cab arrives at my house. The fare on the driver's meter is $35.00 (hey, what do you know?) and the driver asks, "Is that usually what you pay?"

Pretty sure that's what I said.

--Czobit

No comments: