Friday, October 20, 2006

It's Over

Final Ryerson Days, Part I: The Review

A little while back I joined this new thing called RyersOnline. For more than six weeks, I tirelessly worked towards making the website something worth visiting. To call my time working on RyersOnline a complete failure would be excessively negative. My time working on RyersOnline was a complete failure.

Did anything I do on the site matter? No. Did people check our website on a regular basis? No. Do people know about our website? No. Who cares about RyersOnline? No.

(O.K., the last answer doesn't make sense; I was just trying to continue the parallel structure.)

O.K., it wasn't that bad. I genuinely enjoyed working with the broadcast group I was drafted to liaison with. And I genuinely enjoyed working with Pam Lam, who is a better journalist than she gives herself credit for being.

But after six weeks of working harder than I should have, I was disappointed by the questions of the new, incoming masthead. Questions like: Which liaison partner has the least amount of work?; How many hours will I have to spend here?; Can I do most of this from home?; and so on.

On Monday this week, one of the new mastheaders interrogated me as to what I've been doing for the last six weeks. I should have assured her I've been doing more than she'll attempt in her six weeks at the helm of RyersOnline.

And so Part I: The Masthead is finished for me. Part II: The Internship starts Monday. Part III: The God Awful Final Semester starts in January when I return to Ryerson. Until then, I'll be staying far away from campus. Far, far away.

--Czobit

3 comments:

Kerry said...

If it's any consolation, had you stayed in print you would have had to have put up with John Miller for a full 13 weeks. And fortunately, I managed to get out of that.

kaitlyn said...

Also, if it's any consolation, pretty much every person I have spoken to is disillusioned and angry with our program.

Internships are WAY better than school.

nicole said...

You make me sound so bad :P