Monday, December 24, 2007

Dickens's Christmas

A Small Tradition

I'll use this post as my annual Christmas address.

I'm not going to bother reflecting on this year in some sappy tone.

I'm not going to bother making ridiculous lies called "resolutions."

I'm not going to bother pretending you'd want to read them anyway.

Good, bad, up, down: we all had those moments this year, and mine are no more significant than yours, and you aren't telling them to me.

I'll just talk about one thing. For the past two years, I've read a story from Charles Dickens's "Christmas Books." Last year, I read "The Chimes" and the year before that, the great, "A Christmas Carol." Call it a tradition, or call me a sap, but it's something I like to do. This year, it's "The Cricket on the Hearth." I'm about to crack open the book, and disappear into Dickens's world. From there, I'll take it easy. On Wednesday, I'll be back with a ton of items to blog about, including my much delayed best-of lists.

Until then, have a good time, enjoy the holiday and ...

--Czobit

No comments: