Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bye Flashman

George MacDonald Fraser, R.I.P.

The creator of the popular Flashman series of novels died yesterday:

Over nearly four decades, Mr. Fraser produced a dozen rollicking picaresques centering on Flashman. The novels purport to be installments in a multivolume “memoir,” known collectively as the Flashman Papers, in which the hero details his prodigious exploits in battle, with the bottle and in bed. In the process, Mr. Fraser cheerfully punctured the enduring ideal of a long-vanished era in which men were men, tea was strong and the sun never set on the British Empire.


When I worked at a book store a couple of years ago, the Flashman series was a favourite of a friend of mine. I haven't read any of Fraser's books, but I have the first Flashman novel on my shelf. Should get to it.

--Czobit

No comments: