Friday, January 18, 2008

Directors Sign

One Strike Avoided, The Other Continues

The directors union agreed to a tentative deal yesterday, avoiding a possible strike later this year, but settling for less in terms of Internet payments than the striker writers union wants.

This tentative deal may spur the writers union to settle with the studios. I hope they do settle soon, but I'd like to see the writers get a reasonable cut of Internet revenues.

While I haven't missed the writers terribly, there's little doubt Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's shows would benefit greatly from a return of their writing staffs. Also the "reality" programming is sinking to unbearable levels. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to put up with the softball questions/cliché answer segments on "American Gladiators"; "American Idol"'s premier Tuesday was wretched, derivative, and best seen by pressing fast-forward for two hours. The ratings of "AI" bear that out.

--Czobit

No comments: