Sunday, March 23, 2008

Concert Post

Foo Fighters, Satuday March 22, Air Canada Centre

I haven't been to many concerts this year; partly because there haven't been many that have interested me, and partly because I haven't been able to justify the cost. Saturday night's show at the Air Canada Centre, with Against Me and the Foo Fighters,was only my second concert this year.

Last year, I saw Against Me play The Guvernment, which was a great, sweaty show. And yes, you can use "great" and "sweaty" together like that in a sentence. But taking a band who has mastered the club show performance and putting it in an arena sometimes isn't flattering. This wasn't a problem for Against Me, whose music transferred easily to the ACC; their 45-minute set wasn't like many opening acts where you're left trying to make out the minute-hand on your watch.

When Dave Grohl and the rest of the Foo came out, they played a couple of songs before Grohl addressed the crowd. He told us that we were lucky: we'd be getting the best Toronto show ever (I'm sure he says this every time).

Grohl said he could give us the 'bargain bullshit show' or he could give us the 90-minute-plus show, or the two-hour show, or the two-hour plus show. From the time the Foo Fighters came on stage to when they left, a bit more than two hours passed.



Almost everyone in the band had a solo, even a triangle solo:



Before the band abandoned the main stage, for another one at the east end of the ACC to play an mini-acoustic set, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson of Rush, came out to play "YYZ" with the Foo's drummer, Taylor Hawkins. I won't pretend I don't hate Rush, but for one night, I could stand them.

All in all, a fantastic show and worth the $73 tickets.




--Czobit

No comments: