Saturday, April 19, 2008

Book Trailer

Whoa, Bad

In February I reviewed Lauren Groff's The Monsters of Templeton. Since then I've changed my blog writing style -- note the italics -- and saw this trailer for Groff's book (presumably the British release):



If I had seen that trailer first, I doubt I would have read the book. The trailer is a complete disservice to Groff's novel. I'm not sure why books need trailers; how does a group of bad actors reciting dialogue (poorly) from a novel help with sales?

--Czobit

1 comment:

COS Productions said...

Book trailers are working. Statistically speaking, 8% of people who watch them buy the book and I suspect that number will only rise.

Book trailers are not really for traditional readers. Many traditional readers like them, though traditional readers seem to prefer shorter videos.

It is your potential reader, the one that will read, sometimes, if the story appeals to them, that you catch with trailers. And many young readers love them. Google "book trailer" and you'll find that libraries and schools now have kids making their own book trailers.

People have evolved to be visual. They want their entertainment presented to them in a visual way. Whether we like it or not, that's how society has evolved.

Book trailers are bringing in new readers. Young readers. You may not like them, but if it gets more people to read, it can't be all bad, right?
Sheila