Saturday, June 28, 2008

GTA IV

Junot Diaz on Grand Theft Auto

Junot Diaz writes about the new Grant Theft Auto video game:
GTA IV's wild acclaim is something that's been in the air, something I've been thinking about as I play the game, shooting digital cops, creating traffic jams, and robbing ATM users... (Let) me be clear: I love GTA IV and I have no doubt that it is art, but an equal to "The Sopranos" or "The Godfather"? Narrative art of that caliber is distinguished by its ability to re-organize our preconceptions, to shift us into a world that's always been there but that we've been afraid to acknowledge, and I'm not convinced that GTA IV pulls off that miracle.
Diaz goes on at length about the video game, arguing IV isn't the revolution many critics suggest it is; IV is on the same level of previous Grand Theft Auto games, he says.

A good review of the video game; surprised to find it in the Wall Street Journal.

--Czobit

No comments: