Sunday, August 17, 2008

Oh, Barcelona

Team Wins; The Film is Good

Before I headed to the theatre last night, I caught the tail end of the Barcelona-Boca Juniors match for the Joan Gamper trophy.

Down 1-0 a minute into penalty time, Barcelona drew even with the Argentinian side. Then it seemed like the match was headed to penalty kicks when Samuel Eto'o scored on a brilliant header ('95) to give Barcelona the win and the trophy. I'm not exaggerating that the finish was fantastic, and Barcelona's website calling the win magical is, despite the stench of sports cliché, apt. (Highlights here.)

After the win, I caught Woody Allen's new film, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which is set (duh) in the city named in the title. A very good movie, and one I'd recommend.

And while I'm on this Barcelona theme, in the Times travel section, there's a page 1 story on visiting Catalonia.

(Also from the Times, a profile on The Daily Show and Jon Stewart and a take-down review of James Woods's How Fiction Works.)

--Czobit

No comments: