Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Wrestler

Darren Aronofsky Talks The Wrestler

It's the buzz of TIFF, and incidentally before all of the hype, the one film I wanted to see at the festival: The Wrestler directed by a favourite director of mine, Darren Aronofsky.

The director speaks about the film:

Peter Sciretta: You come from New York and so [wrestling] must have been all over the place?

Darren Aronofsky: I wasn't a huge fan as a kid. I went to one match at Madison Square Garden with my best friend and my dad. I remember we all lost our voices from screaming so loud. Hulk Hogan was a bad guy and I remember Tony Atlas lifting up Hulk Hogan and dropping him on his balls on the top rope. We went crazy, it was great. I think I went to a couple of other little matches at veterans halls. So it was in my head a bit, but I was never a crazy fan. It was like a small window, and it was before the Hulk-mania, so it wasn't so big. It was still kind of in the early 80's. So it wasn't quite the phenomenon that it became. And by the time Hulkmania came out, I wasn't interested in it. But I thought that the boxing movie is a genre film, and there's been thousands of boxing movies - who knows how many. But no one has ever done a serious wrestling film. No one has ever done a serious film about a wrestler.

I hope to see the movie when it's released later this year in regular theatres.

Last year I saw ten movies at TIFF, but was priced out of the festival this year. OK, maybe not so much priced out but I was feeling kind of cheap and I didn't think I'd have enough time to enjoy the festival; I'd be rushing around to just see movies. Maybe I'll get back to it next year on a lighter schedule.

--Czobit


No comments: