Saturday, October 18, 2008

Gaiman's Latest

The Graveyard Book Disappoints

When you read an author regularly, your expectations for their latest work are typically high. I came to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book knowing though it was a children's book (advertised for the 9-12 crowd) that there should be some level enjoyment for an older reader. That wasn't the case.

Gaiman's previous youth novel efforts, chiefly Coraline, were critically acclaimed for their ability to hold an audience of any age. I found the The Graveyard Book ponderous at 300 pages. Gaiman constructed the novel as a series of connected short stories, and I wish some of those stories had been shorter. Perhaps a serious cut would have given the book greater forward momentum. Instead The Graveyard Book is a laborious read.

I haven't read any other reviews of the book, but I hope the target audience enjoys The Graveyard Book more than I did.

--Czobit

No comments: