Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pevere's Column

The Star Adds a Non-Fiction Column

In a move that I will support, the Star added a new Geoff Pevere column to its Saturday paper. Pevere, easily the Star's best critic, will write about trends in non-fiction books. His first column looks at addiction narratives:
Addiction has its hooks in deep. There have been dozens of books on the subject published in the past few years, and there are many dozens more to come. Here's a thought, inspired perhaps by the presumption that what's written about the real world always speaks to more than the subject at hand: Does our fascination with the consequences of compulsive behaviour go hand in hand with the collapse of boom times? Is recession merely recovery written in global economic terms? Or is it the agony of withdrawal as we convulse our way back to reality? To take the parallel one logical if unnerving step further, what then are our chances of relapse? If reality is the cure for delusion, non-fiction may be one way of getting sober.
Coincidentally the Star also had a front-page story about the growing abuse of OxyContin in Ontario. This was another solid story from the Star (two in one edition!). 

Last summer when I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was prescribed OxyContin. I had the opposite reaction: I wasn't hooked, I wanted off it. I suffered from the pain killer's side-effect of chemically-induced hiccups, which is like a normal hiccup fit except its much longer and painful. I flushed the rest of the pills after using only a day's dosage.

--Czobit

No comments: