Sunday, March 15, 2009

Watched Watchmen

My Thoughts on the Film

I'm a bit late writing about the film adaption of Watchmen as I saw it in (iMax no less) last Saturday. To say that it didn't impress me to the point that I had to write 1,000 words about it as soon as I came home would be... Well accurate, because I didn't write any words about it then and I'm not even going to come close to a 1,000 now.

Zack Snyder is a good director. Or can be. His remake of Dawn of the Dead is my favourite zombie film from the most recent crop of zombie movies. I thought 300 was awful and I'm not wavering from the assessment today. Going into seeing Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen, the man was 1-1 in his efforts. After sitting through the near three-hour film, Snyder is 1-1-1. That's right: a draw.

Watchmen, the movie, isn't awful. There are many fun parts - enjoyable action and effects - and scenes that ring true as much as they can to the unmatchable comic book source material. But Snyder's film is not great. It's not must see, but not mustn't see. It's on the screen, there, and for people who can't be bothered to read the comic, it's an OK Cliff Notes-version.

Would I recommend it? Sure but I'd recommend the comic first.

--Czobit

No comments: