Sunday, April 05, 2009

Reading Files

Mysteries and the Mystery

So what have I been reading lately? Well, mysteries and some other things. I could go through list but that'd would bore me. Instead I will single out two books.

The first is Liaquat Ahamed's Lord of Finance, which is a history of the world economic collapse of the 1920s. It's a great piece of writing that shows the how the economy can ravage countries and lead to unforeseen problems. It's worth reading to see why solving today's economic crisis is kind of, you know, important.

The second is Stieg Larrson's much-praised and after reading, much-disappointing, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The novel is the first part of a trilogy that was supposed to go 10 novels, but Larrson, a journalist from Sweden, died after he submitted the manuscripts for the first three parts. Perhaps the hype was too great, but I found the prose pedestrian (may be partly the fault of the translation), the mystery not compelling, the twists not what I'd consider twists, the violence not ghastly (am I too desensitized after watching Saw?), and overall, too long, too much of a chore to finish. And this was supposed to be one of the best of the year, a real "page-turner."

But... Yes, Larrson didn't lose me completely. I'm interested in the sequel because I've heard it's better than part one. I won't damn a writer after one book that didn't please me. Maybe if part two sucks, then...

--Czobit

No comments: